Is there always no one around us or maybe the cold of the cold? The common cold is one of the most diseases that we often hear – this is the reason that it is called a normal cold!
Adults get an average of 2 to 4 winter and 6 to 8 winter every year. In the United States, people are suffering from 1 billion winters annually (1).
A light upper respiratory tract transition is a cold throat, nose, and sinus. The virus related to the rhinovirus group is mainly responsible for it, but it may also be due to other viruses. It is usually harmless.
The virus enters your body through the eyes, nose, and mouth. It spreads through the infected drops wind, direct contact with infected people, and polluted items such as towels, doorknobs, telephones, keypad, etc.
Symptoms are usually on 2 or 3 days surface when infected with microbes and go for 7 to 14 days.
Symptoms include headache, drifting nose or blocked nose, sneezing, cough, high fever, itchy eyes, sore throat, body pain, etc.
Being out in the cold weather is not caused by cold, but rhinoviruses which are mainly caused by cold, survive better in a cool climate.
Although they say that there is no cure for the common cold, treatment for symptoms coming with winter.
Use over-the-counter prescription such as cold drugs can be used to reduce your symptoms, but you usually do not require antibiotics for cold treatment. Apart from this, the cold people are cured by themselves and it can be managed very well at home.
In addition, you may need to take steps to treat your normal freezing before taking towards other infections like sinus or ear infection, cough, bronchitis, pneumonia, and other complications (2).
Many natural remedies provide effective relief from different symptoms of a normal cold without any side effects. Many of these have been passed as traditional knowledge.
Top 10 home remedies for the common cold are given here.
Note: If the cold runs for more than two weeks, you should consult a physician.
Organosulfur compounds present in garlic are mainly responsible for their medicinal properties. Garlic antibacterial and antiviral properties can be very useful in getting rid of cold symptoms. Garlic promotes the immune system, helps to open the respiratory route, and flushes toxic substances from your body.
According to a study published in 2001, Allicin had the ability to stop winter in high doses. According to the study, the group of subjects treated with a high dose of allicin extract for 12 weeks reported a short number of cold numbers and symptoms of low numbers during the normal cold infection (5).
Another garlic product named old garlic extract or age (produced by aging garlic) has been shown to reduce the severity of symptoms, the number of illness days, and the event of winter and flu (6).
Together 1 crushed garlic cloves, ½ spoons of 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon honey, and Cayenne pepper or red chili powder. Consume it daily till the symptoms are low.
Here it has been told how the domestic measure looks.
- Boil 4 or 5 chopped garlic cloves in 1 cup water. Mix 1 teaspoon raw honey. Drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can also eat raw garlic cut in a salad or with hot milk.
- Garlic supporters are commercially available, which can be taken daily. For the appropriate dose, it is best to consult your doctor who can suggest after considering your overall health status and other medicines.
2. Raw Honey
Honey can be very helpful in drying a troubled throat, as well as a period of cold. The high volume of nutrients and enzymes in honey helps kill bacteria and viruses which are caused by winter.
The results of the random study conducted in 1998 concluded that the antibiotics were not helping to fight the infection in the upper respiratory tract like winter (7).
There is increasing evidence to show that honey reduces the secretion of mucous and cough in children.
The recommendations made by the World Health Organization in 2001 suggest that there may be a honey role in cough and cold treatment in children (8).
Always use raw organic honey. Money Honey is considered more powerful with highly unique manner factors (UMF> 10).
- The most simple home remedy is to consume 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and a mixture of 2 teaspoons of honey. Take it every 2 hours to get excessive relief from your cold and throat.
- If you want, you can just swallow a teaspoon of raw honey.
- Cough and cold children can be given ½ spoon (2.5 meters) of raw honey before bed.
Note: Use of organic honey preferably. Avoid honey as a remedy for children under 1-year-old.
Did you know that there are many major medicinal properties in ginger, of which there are important properties to remove cold due to normal cold and keep the body warm (9)?
Ginger can be helpful in the treatment of normal cold and its symptoms due to its antiviral, executive, and anti-inflammatory properties (10).
- Raw ginger accounts or drink ginger tea 3 times a day. To make ginger tea, boil 2 cups, add 1 tablespoon chopped ginger, cover and boil it on low heat for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Now you can press tea and add a little lemon juice and honey to increase your health effect.
- You can also make a ginger, cloves, and a little salt paste. Eat ½ teaspoons 2 times a day. If you have a nose flows, mix an equal quantity of dry ginger powder, clear butter (ghee), and jaggery (tricks), a natural sweetener. Eat this mixture on an empty stomach daily in the morning. Forged raw focused sugarcane juice is unrefined sugar and according to Ayurveda is beneficial for respiratory problems. Date palm and Palm SAP are other sources of jaggery. You can buy jaggery from Indian grocery stores or online. Ghee is clarified to butter. You can make it at home or you can buy it from the Indian store or online.
4. Chicken Soup
“Eat chicken soup when you get cold” is not just a myth of old grandmother! Yes – Studies have shown that chicken soup is better than cold or hot water in cold treatment.
It also provides relief from normal freezing symptoms through its action on white blood cells, which play the main role in fighting infection (11).
There are many essential nutrients and vitamins in chicken soup that help to treat normal cold symptoms. The high antioxidant properties of vegetables present in chicken soup give the treatment process.
Therefore, chicken soup is highly recommended for its nutritious benefits, relief from dehydration and is best to promote rapid recovery from normal freezing.
For best results, make homemade chicken soup by using organic vegetables and chicken.
5. Red onion
Onion juice has been used to make syrup in folk therapy for the treatment of colds (12). The essential oil from onion is also called to rest cold. In addition to other onions, Red Onions are considered high in QUERCETIN (13) and chromium such as antioxidants.
People suffering from colds can get relief from homemade red onion syrup. To make syrup, you will need red onion and honey or brown sugar.
- Piece 2 or 3 red onion horizontally Place a piece of onion in a small Mason Jar and add raw honey. Repeat the process until the bowl goes filled.
- Cover the jar and leave it for 12 to 15 hours. When you open a jar, it will be thicker liquid like syrup.
To get relief from the throat and other symptoms of cold, drink one spoon of syrup several times.
6. Black Pepper
Black pepper is the “king of spices” and there are many health promotion properties. It is rich in many compounds, which are responsible for its antioxidant, antimicrobial, and gastroprotept (protective effect on the stomach) effect (14).
There is a compound in black pepper, which is called Pipiperin which makes it fast and is also responsible for many medicinal properties of black pepper.
Pippin is known to fix cough, cough, and throat problems by breathing and cough. Once in the body, it also creates nutrients from other food items and spices (15).
Pepper is one of the most easily available natural remedies for different symptoms of a normal winter.
- If you are suffering from a drifting nose, add pepper to your food on eating food.
- You can embrace together with 1 teaspoon black pepper mixed in a glass of hot water.
- If you can not eat black pepper, you can still benefit from odor pepper all day.
7. Mullen Tea
You can get a lot of fluid and get relief from the cold and nothing can be better than the hot cup of Mullen tea! Mullen is a sturdy plant that is found in parts of North America, Europe, North Africa, and Asia.
It is traditionally used to treat respiratory diseases such as cold (16), wounds, and irritation. Due to its expectorant properties, Mullein can get rid of the crowd of the chest which is often cold (17), (18).
- To make Mullen tea, fill a hole with dry Mullen herbs and keep it in a cup of boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add a little raw honey for this and drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
8. Turmeric milk
Turmeric milk is a popular traditional solution for cold (19). Milk, together with turmeric and ginger powder, helps to treat cough as well as other symptoms of cold, such as pain and headache.
Unlike popular misunderstandings, milk does not increase mucous production. Turmeric is a very powerful spice with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties (20).
- Boil milk and add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ spoon of ginger powder (you can also use fresh ginger).
- Let the milk cool at room temperature so that you can drink it without burning your mouth. Try to drink it 2 times a day, especially before sleeping.
Cinnamon can fight with a normal winter and can help reduce the pain of sore or throat. Cinnamaldehyde is the main component of cinnamon bark.
Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamaldehyde have been displayed through many studies (21).
- 1 tablespoon powder cinnamon and 2 clothes mix in 2 cups of boiling water and boil it for 15 minutes. Tension and despite it still hot. For best results, you can add some honey too. Drink this tea 3 to 3 times a day.
- If you want, you can consume some drops of cinnamon bark oil with honey.
10. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin which is also known as Ascorbic Acid. It was important in relation to its role in preventing scurvy-related deaths among the ancient sailors.
You can find it abundantly in the citrus fruits in fruits and vegetables.
Although this vitamin has been debated in the research cycle about its role to fix winter, there are many functional properties in it. This wound plays an important role in many processes of the body such as medical, iron absorption, and collagen formation (22).
Vitamin C improves your body’s glucose metabolism. It also helps to produce a chemical substance which is important for the proper signaling of the nervous system. Vitamin C also plays a very important role in strengthening your immune system.
A study conducted in 2014 showed that the daily intake of Vitamin C in men with less vitamin C improved their physical activity and reduced the period of cold (23).
To see that you eat your daily with natural sources, especially when you are down with the cold!
Rich Fruit in Vitamin C:
- Indian hansberry or amla
- Orange, grapes, lemon, lemon
- Kiwi fruit
- Berry Strawberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Cranberry like Jamun